Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cant Connect - SQL Server does not exist

Hi
We recently had a SQL Server 2K, Win2K box crash on us, and we had to
reinstall Windows.
Sql Server was also damaged (I think the registry got corrupted), and
so I reinstalled that too (couldnt start the Services). The server is
now up and running, but from any other computers (such as my desktop)
I can't connect to the server. If I open QA, for example, I can locate
the server name using the ... button (so it's there), but when I put
in a UID & PWD I get the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied"
error.
If I start QA on the server itself, though, and connect using the same
UID & PWD, there's no problem.
any ideas?
Thanks
Sean
Ensure that both the server and client share a network protocol in common.
Try to ping the server name and IP from the client to ensure connectivity.
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
www.mariner-usa.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"Sean" <plugwalsh@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3698af3c.0408100316.2596d560@.posting.google.c om...
> Hi
> We recently had a SQL Server 2K, Win2K box crash on us, and we had to
> reinstall Windows.
> Sql Server was also damaged (I think the registry got corrupted), and
> so I reinstalled that too (couldnt start the Services). The server is
> now up and running, but from any other computers (such as my desktop)
> I can't connect to the server. If I open QA, for example, I can locate
> the server name using the ... button (so it's there), but when I put
> in a UID & PWD I get the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied"
> error.
> If I start QA on the server itself, though, and connect using the same
> UID & PWD, there's no problem.
> any ideas?
> Thanks
> Sean
|||Sorry - had the wrong IP in the hosts file... doh!
"Wayne Snyder" <wayne.nospam.snyder@.mariner-usa.com> wrote in message news:<uIsqD7sfEHA.396@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Ensure that both the server and client share a network protocol in common.
> Try to ping the server name and IP from the client to ensure connectivity.
> --
> Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> Mariner, Charlotte, NC
> www.mariner-usa.com
> (Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
> I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and it's
> community of SQL Server professionals.
> www.sqlpass.org
> "Sean" <plugwalsh@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:3698af3c.0408100316.2596d560@.posting.google.c om...

No comments:

Post a Comment