Sunday, March 25, 2012

Can't attach db - says read-only

Hi all,
SQL novice here.
I had a SQL Server 2000 machine that died, but it had some
data I need, so i pulled the drive, found the SQL data folder
and copied it to a network location.
On my SQL Server 2003 machine runnig SQL Server Express, I
right click on Databases, select Attach, point to the database
I want, and the process fials saying the data is read-only, make
it read write and try again.
Problem is, the files are not read-only. I checked and reset
them several times, and each attempt fails with the same message.
How can I attach this database to my sql server?
Thanks,
kpg
There is a article on Microsoft's web site that briefly discusses this issue
on SQL 2005 Express:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb264564.aspx
If you've already checked the permissions on the file, see if you can check
the permissions you have on the database server and folder where the file is
being written to. Your permissions may be different than what they were on
the original DB server.
"kpg*" wrote:

> Hi all,
> SQL novice here.
> I had a SQL Server 2000 machine that died, but it had some
> data I need, so i pulled the drive, found the SQL data folder
> and copied it to a network location.
> On my SQL Server 2003 machine runnig SQL Server Express, I
> right click on Databases, select Attach, point to the database
> I want, and the process fials saying the data is read-only, make
> it read write and try again.
> Problem is, the files are not read-only. I checked and reset
> them several times, and each attempt fails with the same message.
> How can I attach this database to my sql server?
> Thanks,
> kpg
>
|||> There is a article on Microsoft's web site that briefly discusses this
> issue on SQL 2005 Express:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb264564.aspx
> If you've already checked the permissions on the file, see if you can
> check the permissions you have on the database server and folder where
> the file is being written to. Your permissions may be different than
> what they were on the original DB server.
Thank you * 100!
I copied the db file into the data folder of the sql 2005 instance
and yes, I was able to attach it. So it was a folder permission
issue.
Thanks again!
kpg
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment