Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can't connect after changing IP address

After changing from DHCP network address to a static IP address I can
not connect to my local database using ".\MyDBS" notation, howver
"127.0.0.1\MyDBS" works. Also, both work after restarting the SQL
service.
I am using the query analyzer to test success or failure.
My event logs show nothing and my SQL logs show no errors.
Any ideas on how to debug this further or solve it altogether?
Thank youHi Arron,
Thank you for using the newsgroup and it is my pleasure to help you with
you issue.
From your information, after change the IP, in the Query Analyzer, you
could not connect to my local database using ".\MyDBS" while
"127.0.0.1\MyDBS" works. After you restart the SQL Server service, this
problem do not happen, right?
I want to go forward with some more information since I could not
re-produce this problem on my computer. Do you encouter any error message
when using ".\MYDBS" that indicating you cannot connect to the server? How
about using the '(local)'? If you do not restart the SQL Server service,
it will not connect to the server even after some time? If you connect from
another machine by Query Analyer, do you meet the same problem?
When a SQL Server is started, it will listen to the IP and the port of when
it is started. So, when you change the IP address, you should restart the
SQL Server service and then it will listen to the new IP address. For the
localhost and the 127.0.0.1 will be the local machine.
You could refer to the following article for the name resolution:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr.../ewsa/ewsach08.
mspx#XSLTsection124121120120
Hope this helps. If you still have questions, please feel free to post
message here and I am glad to help.
Thanks.
Sincerely Yours
Baisong Wei
Microsoft Online Support
----
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.|||Hi Aaron,
I am reviewing you post and since we have not heard from you for some time
in the newsgroup, I wonder if you got answer from my answer. For any
question, please post your message here and we are glad to help.
Thanks.
Best regards
Baisong Wei
Microsoft Online Support
----
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Please reply to newsgroups only. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment