Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can't connect as SA through ODBC manager...why?

Hi All,
I can connect to my MSDE server by logging in as SA from the command line
but not through the ODBC manager utility in windows. I need to setup system
DSNs for a few applications but can't because they require I use SQL
authentication. When I reach that step in the ODBC manager I type in SA and
the password and hit next I get a 18456 "login failed for sa" error. My
server is in mixed mode (I checked the registry), the domain admins group has
login privilages to MSDE, I have no firewall active on any NICs, and none of
my passwords contain a semicolon. I have no clue what I'm missing here. Can
some one point me in the right direction or link me to a good article on how
to setup system dsns through the command line?
Thanks,
Prikly Pete Peterson
MSDE can only be used as the source of the data. It's not licensed to host
Reporting Services (as we discuss in our Reporting Services
book --www.sqlreportingservices.net). Chapter 2 (freely downloadable from
the site) explains why.
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn
Author, Mentor, Consultant
Microsoft MVP
www.betav.com
Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
__________________________________
"ComfortablySAD" <ComfortablySAD@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:32E686BF-63A6-4DFF-9A7D-A00E8B6CAE09@.microsoft.com...
> Hi All,
> I can connect to my MSDE server by logging in as SA from the command line
> but not through the ODBC manager utility in windows. I need to setup
> system
> DSNs for a few applications but can't because they require I use SQL
> authentication. When I reach that step in the ODBC manager I type in SA
> and
> the password and hit next I get a 18456 "login failed for sa" error. My
> server is in mixed mode (I checked the registry), the domain admins group
> has
> login privilages to MSDE, I have no firewall active on any NICs, and none
> of
> my passwords contain a semicolon. I have no clue what I'm missing here.
> Can
> some one point me in the right direction or link me to a good article on
> how
> to setup system dsns through the command line?
> Thanks,
> Prikly Pete Peterson
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment