Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can''t change the Auto growth option on my Database

I'm currently using SQL Server 2005. Before I have set my database on unrestricted auto growth. But today, I have noticed that the Log file has been set to limit its growth to 2,097,152 MB. I have 160GB space for my log files, I just want to maximize the space for logs in my hard drive.

When I try to change the settings back to auto growth it still keeps on returning to its previous setting it is still set on 2,097,152 MB. What I did was :

Right Click on the Database - Properties - Files - Click the (...) - set the auto growth option to unrestricted - Click Ok

But when I checked log file, it is still set on 2,097,152MB.

Can some one help me change the settings of my Database.

I think its the maximum to which the log file can grow i.e upto 2 TB refer,

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=175549

even if you set it as unlimited it reverts to 2 TB i guess....it seems to be a bug with sp1 and is closed by design, even if you alter the filegrowth through scripts it doesnt revert

|||

Is there any querry / command that I can use to set the auto growth option on my log files? my real problem was giving the log files a different settings. My database was running for almost 1 year now. This is the first time that I saw this kind of error, well actually it doesnt return any error. It just doesn't accept the settings that I gave.

Having 160GB of Hard Disk space and my log file is being limited to just 2GB is very frustraiting (lol) Hope you guys can give me some ideas.

|||

the query is available in my previous post (link) i gave and they have clearly showed that you cannot change the settings through query either........go for SP2 but i am not sure it will yield the desired results....it was a bug with sp1

|||

But you aren't limited to 2 GB. You are limited to 2 TB.

2,097,152 MB = 2 TB (not 2 GB).

If you were trying to set it to a size greater than 2,097,152 MB, it wasn't an allowable value as you would have been trying to exceed the 2 GB max for a transaction log size.

-Sue

|||

If it is set to 2TB then why doest it now allow me to make any changes on my data? Sorry for the nooby questions and mistakes. I just dont want anything bad to happen on my database.

What are the solutions that I can make to change it back to normal?

|||

No problem on the noob questions...everyone starts there at some point.

Going back to your problem, what you really want to do is give some details on what the problem really is - all we have to go on is the auto growth and file size issue but in this post you said you can't make any changes to your data. Could you give us a step by step example of what issues you are running into, what the exact error number and messages are?

Thanks,

-Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment