Thursday, March 29, 2012

can't configure mirroring

Hi,
I've already configured a few databases from our server A to use mirroring
to our DR server. Now I've got a different primary server B and I am trying
to configure it so it mirrors to the same DR server. But I can't.
Is it supposed to work on the same port number as the first mirroring
connection between A & DR? or B & DR has to use a different port number? I've
also tried using a different port number (first check with netstat that it's
not used), but the Wizard doesn't allow me to enter a different port number
it still defaults to the same as between A & DR.
The error says that: The server network address "TCP://DR-server.local:5022"
can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that
the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL
Server, Error: 1418)
Any ideas? Thanks.
Panos.
I have the same problem. Three new servers setting up a mirror from a to b
with c as the witness. I have verified that I can connect to each from each
by going to a DOS prompt on each and executing "osql -Usa
-SserverDNSname,5022" It returns with an osql command prompt. I am using SQL
server 2005 Standard with SP2 on windows server 2003 sp1.
While going through the mirror setup wizard I get the error:
An error occurred while starting mirroring.
Additional information:
Alter fail for database 'test'. (Microsoft.sqlserver.smo)
An exception occurred while executing a transact-sql statement or batch.
(Micorosft.sqlserver.connectioninfo)
The server networkaddress "TCP://address.given.here.com:5022" can not be
reached or does not exists. Check the network address name and that the ports
for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft sql server,
Error: 1418)
I did verify that the dsn names resolve. I used both integrated NT accounts
for authentication and the SQL Server sa account for setting up security
between all the servers and the same message results.
I used a port scanner and netstat to verify that 5022 is live.
It gets this message when it attempts to connect to the local host where
mirroring is being initiated from. There is no opportunity to put in
authentication information for the local host when setting up mirroring. I am
using an account that is in the administrators group on all three servers.
These servers are not part of a domain.
Seems to me there is a fundamental flaw with mirror setup.
Suggestions for further diagnosing this problem would be helpful.
|||Well mine is slightly different as the DR server (B) I am trying to make the
target has already been set-up successfully for mirroring with another server
(A). I am now trying to setup mirroring from Server C to server B but I get
the error message. Are you sure you can use mirroring with Developer edition?
I thought you need Enterprise but maybe that was before SP2. Check this
anyway.
Panos.
"DBA449" wrote:

> I have the same problem. Three new servers setting up a mirror from a to b
> with c as the witness. I have verified that I can connect to each from each
> by going to a DOS prompt on each and executing "osql -Usa
> -SserverDNSname,5022" It returns with an osql command prompt. I am using SQL
> server 2005 Standard with SP2 on windows server 2003 sp1.
> While going through the mirror setup wizard I get the error:
> An error occurred while starting mirroring.
> Additional information:
> Alter fail for database 'test'. (Microsoft.sqlserver.smo)
> An exception occurred while executing a transact-sql statement or batch.
> (Micorosft.sqlserver.connectioninfo)
> The server networkaddress "TCP://address.given.here.com:5022" can not be
> reached or does not exists. Check the network address name and that the ports
> for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft sql server,
> Error: 1418)
> I did verify that the dsn names resolve. I used both integrated NT accounts
> for authentication and the SQL Server sa account for setting up security
> between all the servers and the same message results.
> I used a port scanner and netstat to verify that 5022 is live.
> It gets this message when it attempts to connect to the local host where
> mirroring is being initiated from. There is no opportunity to put in
> authentication information for the local host when setting up mirroring. I am
> using an account that is in the administrators group on all three servers.
> These servers are not part of a domain.
> Seems to me there is a fundamental flaw with mirror setup.
> Suggestions for further diagnosing this problem would be helpful.
|||Mirroring is now supported for SQL Server Standard edition 2005 with SP2
installed. I saw this on the Microsoft web site.
"Panos Stavroulis." wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Well mine is slightly different as the DR server (B) I am trying to make the
> target has already been set-up successfully for mirroring with another server
> (A). I am now trying to setup mirroring from Server C to server B but I get
> the error message. Are you sure you can use mirroring with Developer edition?
> I thought you need Enterprise but maybe that was before SP2. Check this
> anyway.
> Panos.
> "DBA449" wrote:
|||Microsoft?
I think we need a little help here?
What da ya sa...
"Panos Stavroulis." wrote:

> Hi,
> I've already configured a few databases from our server A to use mirroring
> to our DR server. Now I've got a different primary server B and I am trying
> to configure it so it mirrors to the same DR server. But I can't.
> Is it supposed to work on the same port number as the first mirroring
> connection between A & DR? or B & DR has to use a different port number? I've
> also tried using a different port number (first check with netstat that it's
> not used), but the Wizard doesn't allow me to enter a different port number
> it still defaults to the same as between A & DR.
>
> The error says that: The server network address "TCP://DR-server.local:5022"
> can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that
> the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL
> Server, Error: 1418)
> Any ideas? Thanks.
> Panos.
|||Solution found.
In my case the problem was that I had used the SQL Server Configuration
Manager to configure SQL Server to listen on port 5022. The documentation had
led me to believe that this had to be confgured manually when I couldn't
originally get it to work.
Apparently SQLServer will automatically set up that port to listen on when
mirroring is configured. If you set it up manually, it conflicts with the
automatic configuration.
I opened a case with Microsoft to resolve this issue, and they led me down a
path to configure SQLServer to run under a domain account. Previously I had
it configured to run as a local account in the administrators group. This
path led nowhere, the same error always resulted. Currently I have SQL server
to run under a local account that is part of the administrators group on all
three servers, principle, mirror and witness. And it seems to be functioning
fine.
Further, I was led to believe that you had to log in to the server using the
same account that SQL Server was running under in order to properly configure
SQLServer. This is not true either. I use one account to log into the server
for administrative purposes, and SQLServer runs under a different account.
"DBA449" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Mirroring is now supported for SQL Server Standard edition 2005 with SP2
> installed. I saw this on the Microsoft web site.
> "Panos Stavroulis." wrote:
|||I had to revisit this!! The issue is resolved by creating a certificate on
the server, then linking it with the end point. Transferring the file to the
target, load and link with the other end point.
Panos.
"DBA449" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Microsoft?
> I think we need a little help here?
> What da ya sa...
> "Panos Stavroulis." wrote:
|||that is what microsoft told me to do. But as indicated in the previous post,
it was not necessary
"Panos Stavroulis." wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> I had to revisit this!! The issue is resolved by creating a certificate on
> the server, then linking it with the end point. Transferring the file to the
> target, load and link with the other end point.
> Panos.
> "DBA449" wrote:
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment