Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can't Connect

I have just installed Sql server 2005 on my Win XP Pro machine.
When I go into the sql server management studio, there is only
one entry under the "database engine" entry in the registered servers'
panel on the left. It is MyServerName\SQLEXPRESS.
When I click on it and then select connect, either new query
or object explorer, I get one of the following errors.
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to there server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, the failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (Provider : Sql Network interfaces, error: 26 - Error locating
Server/Instance Specified )
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to there server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, the failure may be caused by the
fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (Provider : Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open
a connection
to sql server.
I have looked all over the internet, but couldn't find anything that
would help.
I went into the sql server configuration manger, and enabled the name
pipes and rebooted.
I didn't work. In the sql service configuration manager I have five
services that are status of
running and startup mode of automatic. However they are not for the
SQLExpress server.
They are for another sql server name, that I put in for the server name
when I installed
sql server 2005. I thought that would be the server name.
There are two entries under sql server 2005 network configuration
Protocals for SQLEXPRESS and
Protocals for Myotherservername
How can I connect.
Why do I have two instances are those instances of servers,
I thought that there was only server.
What do I do?
Thanks in Advance,
Laurence
I suggest starting with my blog entry on connecting. Just search
www.betav.com/blog/billva. There are several relevant articles there.
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn
Author, Mentor, Consultant, Dad, Grandpa
Microsoft MVP
INETA Speaker
www.betav.com
www.betav.com/blog/billva
Please reply only to the newsgroup so that others can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
__________________________________
Visit www.hitchhikerguides.net to get more information on my latest book:
Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server (7th Edition)
and Hitchhiker's Guide to SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (EBook)
------
"Larry" <NoSpam@.Something.com> wrote in message
news:e5O9nLU3HHA.5316@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have just installed Sql server 2005 on my Win XP Pro machine.
> When I go into the sql server management studio, there is only
> one entry under the "database engine" entry in the registered servers'
> panel on the left. It is MyServerName\SQLEXPRESS.
> When I click on it and then select connect, either new query
> or object explorer, I get one of the following errors.
> An error has occurred while establishing a connection to there server.
> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, the failure may be caused by the
> fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> connections. (Provider : Sql Network interfaces, error: 26 - Error
> locating
> Server/Instance Specified )
> An error has occurred while establishing a connection to there server.
> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, the failure may be caused by the
> fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> connections. (Provider : Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - Could not open a
> connection
> to sql server.
> I have looked all over the internet, but couldn't find anything that would
> help.
> I went into the sql server configuration manger, and enabled the name
> pipes and rebooted.
> I didn't work. In the sql service configuration manager I have five
> services that are status of
> running and startup mode of automatic. However they are not for the
> SQLExpress server.
> They are for another sql server name, that I put in for the server name
> when I installed
> sql server 2005. I thought that would be the server name.
> There are two entries under sql server 2005 network configuration
> Protocals for SQLEXPRESS and
> Protocals for Myotherservername
>
> How can I connect.
> Why do I have two instances are those instances of servers,
> I thought that there was only server.
> What do I do?
> Thanks in Advance,
> Laurence
>
>
>
>
|||Thank You.
William Vaughn wrote:
> I suggest starting with my blog entry on connecting. Just search
> www.betav.com/blog/billva. There are several relevant articles there.
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment