Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Can't close IDE, modal dialog, anyone know what's causing this?

I've only seen this happen when using the report designer, and I think only
when working with Dundas chart properties. I don't have a modal dialog
open, or at least not that I can find. I use alt-esc to loop through the
dialogs on the OS, nothing. Microsoft has an entry in support, it says it
usually happens when I try to shut down and have left a modal dialog
open...only there is no dialog to close. I end up ending the IDE process
tree. Anyone else getting this and/or know the cause?
Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active.
Close the active dialog and try again.
Yes it's Friday the 13th :)
Steve MunLeeuwhttp://geekswithblogs.net/geekusconlivus/archive/2006/02/28/70918.aspx
This is a lot better description, sorry for posting.
Steve MunLeeuw
"Steve MunLeeuw" <smunson@.clearwire.net> wrote in message
news:u6iO0Qy7GHA.940@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I've only seen this happen when using the report designer, and I think
> only when working with Dundas chart properties. I don't have a modal
> dialog open, or at least not that I can find. I use alt-esc to loop
> through the dialogs on the OS, nothing. Microsoft has an entry in
> support, it says it usually happens when I try to shut down and have left
> a modal dialog open...only there is no dialog to close. I end up ending
> the IDE process tree. Anyone else getting this and/or know the cause?
> Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active.
> Close the active dialog and try again.
> Yes it's Friday the 13th :)
> Steve MunLeeuw
>|||If I've been working with the code view of reports, my VS 2005 doesn't close
like normal. I usually have to close it by killing the DevEnv.exe service in
Task Manager...
Not a very elegant solution, but it will close. ;)
Kaisa M. Lindahl Lervik
"Steve MunLeeuw" <smunson@.clearwire.net> wrote in message
news:ekQn5Ty7GHA.3740@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> http://geekswithblogs.net/geekusconlivus/archive/2006/02/28/70918.aspx
> This is a lot better description, sorry for posting.
> Steve MunLeeuw
> "Steve MunLeeuw" <smunson@.clearwire.net> wrote in message
> news:u6iO0Qy7GHA.940@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> I've only seen this happen when using the report designer, and I think
>> only when working with Dundas chart properties. I don't have a modal
>> dialog open, or at least not that I can find. I use alt-esc to loop
>> through the dialogs on the OS, nothing. Microsoft has an entry in
>> support, it says it usually happens when I try to shut down and have left
>> a modal dialog open...only there is no dialog to close. I end up ending
>> the IDE process tree. Anyone else getting this and/or know the cause?
>> Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is
>> active. Close the active dialog and try again.
>> Yes it's Friday the 13th :)
>> Steve MunLeeuw
>|||Kaisa M. Lindahl Lervik wrote:
> If I've been working with the code view of reports, my VS 2005 doesn't close
> like normal. I usually have to close it by killing the DevEnv.exe service in
> Task Manager...
> Not a very elegant solution, but it will close. ;)
> Kaisa M. Lindahl Lervik
>
> "Steve MunLeeuw" <smunson@.clearwire.net> wrote in message
> news:ekQn5Ty7GHA.3740@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > http://geekswithblogs.net/geekusconlivus/archive/2006/02/28/70918.aspx
> >
> > This is a lot better description, sorry for posting.
> >
> > Steve MunLeeuw
> >
> > "Steve MunLeeuw" <smunson@.clearwire.net> wrote in message
> > news:u6iO0Qy7GHA.940@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> >> I've only seen this happen when using the report designer, and I think
> >> only when working with Dundas chart properties. I don't have a modal
> >> dialog open, or at least not that I can find. I use alt-esc to loop
> >> through the dialogs on the OS, nothing. Microsoft has an entry in
> >> support, it says it usually happens when I try to shut down and have left
> >> a modal dialog open...only there is no dialog to close. I end up ending
> >> the IDE process tree. Anyone else getting this and/or know the cause?
> >>
> >> Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is
> >> active. Close the active dialog and try again.
> >>
> >> Yes it's Friday the 13th :)
> >> Steve MunLeeuw
> >>
> >
> >
yes..this is happening to me quie a bit when writing a lot of reports
and changing a lot of charts...save soon save often....it looks like
the dundas dialogs and the vs dialogs get a bit confused...that is
all...
Peter
www.peternolan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment