Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cannot Start SQL Server 2000 after installing Vista

Just installed the Vista Business Upgrade. Now I cannot start SQL Server 200
0
even though my Windows Authentication has not changed. The Service Manager
reports "Access Denied" when I try to start the server.
Do I need to reinstall the server or is there a workaround? I tried the SSMS
but had no success.
--
malcolmHi,
can you elaborate more, is you MSSQL service run under domain or local
account?...However you an use registry rebuild to rebuild sql server
instllation and accounts without effecting your databases.
Omar
"malcolm" wrote:

> Just installed the Vista Business Upgrade. Now I cannot start SQL Server 2
000
> even though my Windows Authentication has not changed. The Service Manager
> reports "Access Denied" when I try to start the server.
> Do I need to reinstall the server or is there a workaround? I tried the SS
MS
> but had no success.
> --
> malcolm|||malcolm (ramartower@.access312.com) writes:
> Just installed the Vista Business Upgrade. Now I cannot start SQL Server
> 2000 even though my Windows Authentication has not changed. The Service
> Manager reports "Access Denied" when I try to start the server.
> Do I need to reinstall the server or is there a workaround? I tried the
> SSMS but had no success.
You could try to start it from Computer Management, or run Service Manager
by running as Admin. I guess the first showstopper is the UAC. But the
more basic problem is that SQL 2000 is not supported on Vista, so you may
not get it work at all. If you need the databases, you will need to find
another machine with a different operating system, or upgrade to SQL 2005.
(And you need SP2 of SQL 2005 to run on Vista.)
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment