Friday, February 24, 2012

Cannot shut down VS after using report designer

Routinely when I use BIDS to work on a report design, I cannot close BIDS because I get a message box that says:

Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active. Close the active dialog and try again.

Of course, there is no visible dialog open. I actually have to terminate the process from task manager.

I do not get this problem when using SSIS or SSAS. Only SSRS.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!
BobP

any luck on this? This is pretty annoying.|||

Myself and a number of colleagues are having the same error come up.
We are only able to shutdown the visual studio by going to task manager. Still trying to find the cause, but if anyone else knows anything more?

|||

Still using task manager here. Can't find anyone that has an answer... I'll keep looking... the truth must be out there.

BobP

|||

Same bug here, but when a Infragistics control (Windocker) breaks at design time.

Grrrrr...

There is an open bug track on this at:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=c6519d93-581a-4eea-85f5-143e9d790d4e

|||The problem normally occurs with me when I had used the query designer an has run an query.

When continuing the work at some time sql server ask the question whether to keep the result set or not.

When VS is not the active window this message is stuck behind the VS screen and you can not stop it.

It is quite anoying and my only solution at this time is to save frequently.

Sander van der Hoeff
|||

I too ran into this today. After having a look at the bug in the product feedback centre, I noticed the bug is resolved as not reproduced.

Is it me, or does it seem unproductive to resolve a bug as not reproduced when there's 9 Can Validate and 13 voters with the average rating 4.69? Clearly this should continue to be investigated.

Maybe look at the code that checks for modal dialogs and see what dialogs could cause this message and work backward from there?

|||

BTW, my situation was dragging code from one source file to another. E.g. while in one file, clicking selected text and dragging it to a tab to activate another file and dropped on that file. That file was just added to the project (C#) as a New Item (class).

Of course, I can't reproduce it...

If it matters, I recently came out of Stand By... and I'm not using BIDS or SQL Server with this project.

|||

FYI...

I encountered this problem today for the first time. I was creating a new report in a project by selecting an existing report, right-clicking on it and selected COPY. I then did a CTRL-V to paste it into my project. The new report name was "Copy of...". I renamed the report and then I encountered the problem. I was able to close the IDE via the task manager.

I am unable to reproduce the problem.

Lawrence

|||I get this every time I design report (SQL Reporting services). I cannot shut down Visual Studio. It complains of a modal dialog being open but I can't find it.|||I have the same problem quite often. I am not sure why they are not able to reproduce it.|||

Are you running any plugins to Visual Studio?

What are you doing when it happens? Is there a particular report you're working on? Or does it happen after switching tabs, etc?

These kinds of things are pretty difficult to reproduce without detailed knowledge of what you're actually doing. If there's a bug here, it probably is in an obscure code path that just doesn't get all that much traction when we run through it on our computers. Usually, the exact order of operations makes is the clincher in getting a repro in house.

So, any detail you can provide will help us look at this.

Thanks!

-Lukasz

|||I do not remember off hand what produces this, but I will note it the next time that it happens. Although I can say that it happens quite often for me.|||

For me, the only constant is that I am working in report designer. I can start from a wizard, or start from "new item" (Someone has mentioned that the wizard caused some flakey behavior)

Some days I can open an existing report, change a label and everything will be fine, i can open another report and change a label and then it wont close.

I dont know if it is tied to the other weird behavior in the designer:

Hover over the data field toolbox tab and it wont open, I have to hover over tools, and then slide down to data.|||

I know I have experienced slowness in VS when I have multiple projects running in the background. Especially if one of the other projects is connected to a server.

However I can't reproduce these either. I'll pass along your comments to the folks that work on Report Designer.

-Lukasz

No comments:

Post a Comment