Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cannot start MSSQL Server 7

I am not able to start the MSSQL Server service on my system ever since
I shifted my house and got a new network provider. Earlier, I was on
the local cable hub, now my computer is on a DSL network. I don't know
if the network would have something to do with it, but I am just
providing information for the sake of completeness.

When I try starting MSSQL Server from the Services applet in the
Administrative Tools in Control Panel, I get a message saying,

The MSSQLServer service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for
example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

Please help.Water Cooler v2 (wtr_clr@.yahoo.com) writes:
> I am not able to start the MSSQL Server service on my system ever since
> I shifted my house and got a new network provider. Earlier, I was on
> the local cable hub, now my computer is on a DSL network. I don't know
> if the network would have something to do with it, but I am just
> providing information for the sake of completeness.
> When I try starting MSSQL Server from the Services applet in the
> Administrative Tools in Control Panel, I get a message saying,
> The MSSQLServer service on Local Computer started and then stopped.
> Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for
> example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

You need to check the SQL Server errorlog, which is in
C:\Progam Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Logs. There is ERRORLOG and
then ERRORLOG.1 to .6, which are the most recent logs.

The only reason I can think of why SQL Server would start and then
stop, is that it runs into a fatal error.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment