Friday, February 24, 2012

Cannot shrink the transaction logs.

I have a SQL Server 2000 SP3 database that has a large transaction
file (Size 9384.99 space used 87MB). I would like to shrink it, but
it's not working. I don't get any errors, the file just doesn't get any
smaller.
I'm using the Enterprise Manager. Datavbases.. Tasks.. Shrink
Databases.. Shrink File.. selecting the log file and trying both
"Compress" and "Truncate: options.
I can see a progress bar, so i know its doing something However the
file does not get smaller. And I have no idea why.
Any suggestions (including "go find someone who knows what he's
doing") are welcome
Jim Helfer
WTW Architects
Pittsburgh PACheck out http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_dont_shrink.asp, and pay spe
cial attention to the
section about DBCC LOGINFO.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Jim Helfer" <JimHelfer@.newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:eyczNyvSHHA.1200@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I have a SQL Server 2000 SP3 database that has a large transaction file
(Size 9384.99 space
> used 87MB). I would like to shrink it, but it's not working. I don't get
any errors, the file
> just doesn't get any smaller.
> I'm using the Enterprise Manager. Datavbases.. Tasks.. Shrink Databases
. Shrink File..
> selecting the log file and trying both "Compress" and "Truncate: options.
> I can see a progress bar, so i know its doing something However the file
does not get smaller.
> And I have no idea why.
> Any suggestions (including "go find someone who knows what he's doing") a
re welcome
> Jim Helfer
> WTW Architects
> Pittsburgh PA
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment