Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cannot start service

I am VERY NEW to SQL server. I hope you will pardon my total ignorance.
That said:
I have installed SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition on my local PC running
Windows XP Home Edition.
From the CD I installed everything under the "SQL Server 2000 Components"
menu item on the install disk.
I now have an icon in the system tray for the SQL Server Service Manager.
When I open that icon I see a server name (the network name of my local PC,
I have 2 computers on a small network)
I see SQL Sever in the Services box.
There's a message on the bottom of that window that says:
Stopped - \\700XL - MSSQL Server (700XL is my computer name)
When I click on the Start/Continue button I get the following error message:
ERROR
The service did not start due to logon failure.
When I click OK I get the following message:
SQL Server Service Manager
An error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon failure.)
occurred while perfomring this service operation on teh MSSQLServer service.
According to the Enterprise Manager I am using Windows Authentication.
I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone help me please?
Thank you
MarkThis is a Windows problem. Windows tries to start the service using the
account you have specified. However, the password that Windows is using is
incorrect, so it cannot login for the service. Administrative tools,
Services, and there you need to specify the correct password for the SQL
Server service.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"markPanger" <no_spam_mpanger@.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:%23L1oHMD7DHA.2540@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I am VERY NEW to SQL server. I hope you will pardon my total ignorance.
> That said:
> I have installed SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition on my local PC running
> Windows XP Home Edition.
> From the CD I installed everything under the "SQL Server 2000 Components"
> menu item on the install disk.
> I now have an icon in the system tray for the SQL Server Service Manager.
> When I open that icon I see a server name (the network name of my local
PC,
> I have 2 computers on a small network)
> I see SQL Sever in the Services box.
> There's a message on the bottom of that window that says:
> Stopped - \\700XL - MSSQL Server (700XL is my computer name)
> When I click on the Start/Continue button I get the following error
message:
> ERROR
> The service did not start due to logon failure.
> When I click OK I get the following message:
> SQL Server Service Manager
> An error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon
failure.)
> occurred while perfomring this service operation on teh MSSQLServer
service.
> According to the Enterprise Manager I am using Windows Authentication.
> I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone help me please?
> Thank you
> Mark
>
>
>
>|||Wohoo!! (In my best Homer Simpson voice).
When I set the MSSQL Server properties log on as "Local System account", it
worked.
I'm hoping that setting isn't going to cause me a different problem
elsewhere.
Thank you for the nearly instantaneous response,Tibor!
Mark :-)
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:ODeJySD7DHA.2064@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> This is a Windows problem. Windows tries to start the service using the
> account you have specified. However, the password that Windows is using is
> incorrect, so it cannot login for the service. Administrative tools,
> Services, and there you need to specify the correct password for the SQL
> Server service.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
>
> "markPanger" <no_spam_mpanger@.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> news:%23L1oHMD7DHA.2540@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > I am VERY NEW to SQL server. I hope you will pardon my total ignorance.
> >
> > That said:
> > I have installed SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition on my local PC
running
> > Windows XP Home Edition.
> >
> > From the CD I installed everything under the "SQL Server 2000
Components"
> > menu item on the install disk.
> >
> > I now have an icon in the system tray for the SQL Server Service
Manager.
> >
> > When I open that icon I see a server name (the network name of my local
> PC,
> > I have 2 computers on a small network)
> >
> > I see SQL Sever in the Services box.
> >
> > There's a message on the bottom of that window that says:
> > Stopped - \\700XL - MSSQL Server (700XL is my computer name)
> >
> > When I click on the Start/Continue button I get the following error
> message:
> > ERROR
> > The service did not start due to logon failure.
> >
> > When I click OK I get the following message:
> > SQL Server Service Manager
> > An error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon
> failure.)
> > occurred while perfomring this service operation on teh MSSQLServer
> service.
> >
> > According to the Enterprise Manager I am using Windows Authentication.
> >
> > I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone help me please?
> >
> > Thank you
> > Mark
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>|||> Wohoo!! (In my best Homer Simpson voice).
LOL :-)
You might want to search in Books Online for "level token". That will lead you to the section which
descries the service account, and stuff like that.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"markPanger" <no_spam_mpanger@.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:OnD2kkD7DHA.2556@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Wohoo!! (In my best Homer Simpson voice).
> When I set the MSSQL Server properties log on as "Local System account", it
> worked.
> I'm hoping that setting isn't going to cause me a different problem
> elsewhere.
> Thank you for the nearly instantaneous response,Tibor!
> Mark :-)
>
> "Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi@.hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
> message news:ODeJySD7DHA.2064@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > This is a Windows problem. Windows tries to start the service using the
> > account you have specified. However, the password that Windows is using is
> > incorrect, so it cannot login for the service. Administrative tools,
> > Services, and there you need to specify the correct password for the SQL
> > Server service.
> >
> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Archive at:
> >
> http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
> >
> >
> > "markPanger" <no_spam_mpanger@.fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> > news:%23L1oHMD7DHA.2540@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > > I am VERY NEW to SQL server. I hope you will pardon my total ignorance.
> > >
> > > That said:
> > > I have installed SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition on my local PC
> running
> > > Windows XP Home Edition.
> > >
> > > From the CD I installed everything under the "SQL Server 2000
> Components"
> > > menu item on the install disk.
> > >
> > > I now have an icon in the system tray for the SQL Server Service
> Manager.
> > >
> > > When I open that icon I see a server name (the network name of my local
> > PC,
> > > I have 2 computers on a small network)
> > >
> > > I see SQL Sever in the Services box.
> > >
> > > There's a message on the bottom of that window that says:
> > > Stopped - \\700XL - MSSQL Server (700XL is my computer name)
> > >
> > > When I click on the Start/Continue button I get the following error
> > message:
> > > ERROR
> > > The service did not start due to logon failure.
> > >
> > > When I click OK I get the following message:
> > > SQL Server Service Manager
> > > An error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon
> > failure.)
> > > occurred while perfomring this service operation on teh MSSQLServer
> > service.
> > >
> > > According to the Enterprise Manager I am using Windows Authentication.
> > >
> > > I don't even know where to begin. Can anyone help me please?
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > > Mark
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment